Download a brochure/application (PDF): English
• Haitian Creole
• Tiếng Việt Nam
• Cape Verdean
Want to grow your own food—right in your yard? The Food Project believes that everyone who wants to grow their own food should be able to and we want to build you a raised-bed garden! The Food Project’s Build-a-Garden initiative supports low- to moderate-income households in Roxbury, Dorchester, and Mattapan and organizations who want to grow their own food. We provide you with:
- A raised-bed garden filled with healthy, safe soil
- 12 free seedlings in May of your first year
- Free Garden Planning & Planting workshops and a Growing Guide
- Ongoing support through drop-in open hours at the Dudley Greenhouse
- An annual sale for gardeners to purchase high-quality seedlings, compost, and other supplies to keep our neighbors’ gardens growing
Residents of Roxbury, Dorchester, and Mattapan are welcome to apply. Priority is given to those with financial need and to families with children. Gardener Expectations:
- Attend a 2-hour introduction to gardening workshop session and complete a post-season survey.
- Plant and maintain your garden on a weekly basis. We generally recommend spending at least 1-2 hours per week.
- While not required, our hope is that participants will become engaged with our programs and other gardeners in their neighborhood.
No prior gardening experience is required; enthusiasm and a willingness to learn are all you need! Interested in a raised bed garden for your family, installed by The Food Project? Learn more and apply online now! Want to build your own raised bed?
Check out our DIY Raised Bed Installation Manual
and check out these other handy resources and guides
. Want to hear about our gardener events and workshops?
Email [email protected]
to join our email list, and follow Dudley Grows on Facebook. Looking to connect with other neighborhood gardeners?
Stop by the Dudley Greenhouse open hours on Wednesdays from 1–5 PM and Saturdays from 9-1, at 11 Brook Avenue
, to meet neighbors and help out. For more information about Build-a-Garden, please contact the Build-a-Garden Coordinator at 617-442-1322 x55 or [email protected]